Join us at the Road Trips – Asia Facebook Group!
Thailand Fly & Drive – Part 9 (Khao Kho)
After catching the sunrise at Khao Takhian Ngo, I try to look for a petrol kiosk around town. You won’t get the big PTT kiosks in this part of the country… have to settle for the little coin operated ones that sell you gas at a premium price…
The price was a whopping 34 baht/litre which is like 25% more expensive that at the normal petrol kiosks. Lesson learnt. It is quite an interesting experience though for a stupid tourist like me, having to figure out how to slot in the notes and which buttons to press. Luckily a motorcyclist cut my queue rudely without any sense of shame whatsoever, so I had an example to follow. 😛
After a lovely breakfast at our accommodation, we head off to Wat Pha Sorn Kaew, or the Temple on a Glass Cliff, which is a 30 minute drive from where we are staying.
Everything about this temple is amazing. At the foot of the steps leading up to the temple, you are greeted by this picturesque little pond, where you kind of get the feeling that you have been transported to Japan or something.
Then you get to the obligatory long flight of steps, but these steps are a sight to behold, already splashed with colour in bright mosaic, and flanked by beautiful greenery and flowers.
Intricate sculptures and carvings on monuments also adorn the path on the way up to the temple.
Before we reach the top, I’m already impressed. When we get to the top, my jaw literally drops. The pagoda, in the shape of a lotus flower, is set on five levels. The surfaces that surround the pagoda are covered with millions of mosaic tiles and shards of pottery in colourful patterns and designs. No pattern is repeated and every wall seems to tell a story.
In contrast, on the other side, is the five-fold Buddha in pure white and gold, looking so simple and yet so grand. This is an absolute stunning masterpiece of design. I dare say it is the most beautiful Buddhist temple I have ever visited!
The grandeur of the surrounding mountains add greatly to the sense of magnificence and the serenity of the place. You can hardly find a spot where the view isn’t awe-inspiring. Definitely a MUST MUST visit if you are in the area!
- 2019 Thailand Fly and Drive
- Off to Bangkok
- Review: Ibis Styles Bangkok Sukhumvit 50
- Sara Jane’s @ the Empire Place
- Amazing Young Musician on the Streets
- Drive from Bangkok to Khao Kho
- Review: Tonkho at Home, Khao Kho
- Sunrise at Khao Takhian Ngo
- Temple on a Glass Cliff
- Tea @ Pino Latte
- Visit to the Weapon Museum
- Amazing Dinosaur!
- A Tale of Two Dinners
- Drive from Khao Kho to Chiang Mai
- Review: Ibis Styles Chiang Mai
- Chiang Mai Tribal Museum
- Wacky World of Insects!
- Driving the Mae Hong Son Loop
- Drive from Chiang Mai to Pang Mapha
- Pai Historical Bridge
- Pai Canyon
- Pai Land Split
- Review: Ban Keawmora, Pang Mapha
- Drive from Pang Mapha to Mae Win
- Long Neck Village
- Car Woes on the Way to Mae Win
- Day Trip to Doi Inthanon
- The Royal Twin Pagodas
- More Vehicle Misfortune and an Angel on a Motorbike
- Review: Mae Win Guesthouse and Resort
- Another Flat?! Drive from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khan
- Review: Phu Chiangkhan Hostel
- Chiang Khan Walking Street by Day
- The Majestic Mekong
- Chiang Khan Walking Street by Night
- Drive from Chiang Khan to Khon Kaen
- Review: Pullman Khon Kaen Raja Orchid
- The Problem of Laundry
- Birthday Day Out!
- The Nine-Storey Stupa
- Aura Farm
- King Cobra Village
- Khon Kaen City Museum
- 2019 Thailand Fly & Drive (Bangkok, Khao Kho, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son Loop, Chiang Khan, Khon Kaen, Khao Yai, Pattaya)
- 2019 Cameron Highlands Brothers Drive
- 2018 Bali Drive
- 2017 Hungary Winter Drive
- 2017 Hokkaido Winter Drive
- 2019 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2018 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Bangkok, Rayong)
- 2017 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2016 Drive from Singapore to Thailand