Join us at the Road Trips – Asia Facebook Group!
Thailand Fly & Drive – Part 23 (Pang Mapha)
After the Land Split, we drive on for another hour or so, and arrive at our guesthouse just as the sky was getting dark. It took us quite a bit of trouble to find the right place to go, as the compound seems to be on both sides of the road, but eventually, we found the right people to guide us.
Our accommodation is a huge house set beside the river. The two bedrooms are upstairs, and very big, but only one bathroom. You can hear the constant gushing of the water from the river in the background, which gives a rather soothing feeling. My wife thought that it was raining! It was a bit hard to get the temperature of the water right in the bathroom, and the WIFI was a bit spotty. I guess these are the things we have to expect in an accommodation which is a little off the beaten track.
We ordered dinner, and the food took awhile to arrive. The quality was just passable and nothing more. We chose the American Breakfast option for breakfast, and what we got was french fries, porridge, and 3/4 boiled eggs. Needless to say, the kids were sorely disappointed.
The next morning, we had the chance to explore the surroundings a little more before we checked out. There is actually an outdoor snooker table, where you can have a game while feeding the mosquitoes beside the river.
The playground is also decent, with a seesaw and swings for the kids. The kids also enjoyed their little walk by the riverside.
- Price: (10 / 10) At US$45.40 for 1 night with breakfast for a huge house covering 70 m², it was very good value for money.
- Location: (6 / 10) Not a great location, but we were not really interested in that as we were only staying here for one night.
- Condition: (7 / 10) The rooms are in reasonable condition. There are some interesting facilities to enjoy, but we didn’t really have the time to take advantage of them.
- Food: (6 / 10) Dinner portion was big, but the taste was just so-so. Breakfast was supposed to be American Breakfast, but it turned out nothing like what it was supposed to be.
- Staff: (6 / 10) Staff don’t speak English very well. It wasn’t easy to communicate.
- Kid’s Rating (4.3 / 10): Little Baby Lion (3/10) “The porridge was not nice” Little Lion Cub (5/10) “We had difficulties with the TV and the floorboards were creaky” Little Lioness Cub (5/10) “The food wasn’t great”
- Adult’s Rating (4 / 10): The Lion (5/10) “Okay to stay one night, but we won’t be dying to come back” The Lioness (3/10) “A lot of mosquitoes and hard for me to get up the stairs”
- Overall: (6 / 10) Good enough for a one night stay, nothing more…
- 2019 Thailand Fly and Drive
- Off to Bangkok
- Review: Ibis Styles Bangkok Sukhumvit 50
- Sara Jane’s @ the Empire Place
- Amazing Young Musician on the Streets
- Drive from Bangkok to Khao Kho
- Review: Tonkho at Home, Khao Kho
- Sunrise at Khao Takhian Ngo
- Temple on a Glass Cliff
- Tea @ Pino Latte
- Visit to the Weapon Museum
- Amazing Dinosaur!
- A Tale of Two Dinners
- Drive from Khao Kho to Chiang Mai
- Review: Ibis Styles Chiang Mai
- Chiang Mai Tribal Museum
- Wacky World of Insects!
- Driving the Mae Hong Son Loop
- Drive from Chiang Mai to Pang Mapha
- Pai Historical Bridge
- Pai Canyon
- Pai Land Split
- Review: Ban Keawmora, Pang Mapha
- Drive from Pang Mapha to Mae Win
- Long Neck Village
- Car Woes on the Way to Mae Win
- Day Trip to Doi Inthanon
- The Royal Twin Pagodas
- More Vehicle Misfortune and an Angel on a Motorbike
- Review: Mae Win Guesthouse and Resort
- Another Flat?! Drive from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khan
- Review: Phu Chiangkhan Hostel
- Chiang Khan Walking Street by Day
- The Majestic Mekong
- Chiang Khan Walking Street by Night
- Drive from Chiang Khan to Khon Kaen
- Review: Pullman Khon Kaen Raja Orchid
- The Problem of Laundry
- Birthday Day Out!
- The Nine-Storey Stupa
- Aura Farm
- King Cobra Village
- Khon Kaen City Museum
- 2019 Thailand Fly & Drive (Bangkok, Khao Kho, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son Loop, Chiang Khan, Khon Kaen, Khao Yai, Pattaya)
- 2019 Cameron Highlands Brothers Drive
- 2018 Bali Drive
- 2017 Hungary Winter Drive
- 2017 Hokkaido Winter Drive
- 2019 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2018 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Bangkok, Rayong)
- 2017 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2016 Drive from Singapore to Thailand