Thailand Fly and Drive Blog Series – Part 3
We book one night at the Ibis Styles Bangkok Sukhumvit 50, which is about midway from the Suvarnabhumi Airport to the City Centre. It is located in a residential area, far from the usual tourist spots. This was the first time we are trying out this hotel, and it seems to be quite new and relatively empty.
We book a Family Room (37 m²) which comes with a King-sized bed and a two tier bunk bed. The room is big and comfortably fits our family of five. At a cost of US$53.70 for one nights stay, including breakfast, it is a good price!
Breakfast is simple, but tasty. You get a little bit of Thai food, a little bit of western, but not much of anything. Considering the hotel is almost empty, I’m not surprised the spread is limited.
After breakfast, the kids enjoy a session at the table football machine, free-of-charge for hotel guests. Our time at the table was rudely interrupted by one of the concierge staff, who remarked that we were being too loud. Kids will be kids man… and they are bringing life to the otherwise dead hotel, so I’m really not sure why that guy was such a killjoy. Worse still, he came over and claimed that we had damaged the machine, even taking my picture with his mobile phone and reporting me to the front desk. Really horrible man that…. I quickly rounded up the kids and went back upstairs to pack up, not wanting that guy to spoil my morning any further.
- Price: (9 / 10) Excellent value for money for a spacious room that fits my whole family of five.
- Location: (4 / 10) Poor location which is quite a distance away from all the action. The hotel does provide a complimentary Tuk-Tuk shuttle service to the nearest train station.
- Condition: (9 / 10) The hotel and rooms are brand new, with nice decor.
- Breakfast: (6 / 10) Poor spread, but tasty food.
- Staff: (5 / 10) Our experience was soured by that one guy who woke up on the wrong side of the bed.
- Overall: (6.5 / 10) It is comfortable for a short stay. Much better than staying in a dingy budget hotel. However, you wouldn’t want to be wasting many nights being so far from the city centre.
- 2019 Thailand Fly and Drive
- Off to Bangkok
- Review: Ibis Styles Bangkok Sukhumvit 50
- Sara Jane’s @ the Empire Place
- Amazing Young Musician on the Streets
- Drive from Bangkok to Khao Kho
- Review: Tonkho at Home, Khao Kho
- Sunrise at Khao Takhian Ngo
- Temple on a Glass Cliff
- Tea @ Pino Latte
- Visit to the Weapon Museum
- Amazing Dinosaur!
- A Tale of Two Dinners
- Drive from Khao Kho to Chiang Mai
- Review: Ibis Styles Chiang Mai
- Chiang Mai Tribal Museum
- Wacky World of Insects!
- Driving the Mae Hong Son Loop
- Drive from Chiang Mai to Pang Mapha
- Pai Historical Bridge
- 2019 Thailand Fly & Drive (Bangkok, Khao Kho, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son Loop, Chiang Khan, Khon Kaen, Khao Yai, Pattaya)
- 2019 Cameron Highlands Brothers Drive
- 2018 Bali Drive
- 2017 Hungary Winter Drive
- 2017 Hokkaido Winter Drive
- 2019 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2018 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Bangkok, Rayong)
- 2017 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2016 Drive from Singapore to Thailand