Join us at the Road Trips – Asia Facebook Group!
2019 Thailand Fly & Drive – Part 7 (Khao Kho)
When your previous night’s stay is a Marriott two-bedroom apartment with full facilities and luxurious fittings, it is definitely a bit of a contrast to spend the next night in a basement family room of a family run motel. However, we always believe that it is important that our kids experience both ends of the spectrum when we travel as a family. We don’t want them to take the luxuries of a 5 star hotel for granted. They need to know how to live simply and to appreciate whatever blessings that come their way!
However, Tonkho@Home does have its selling points. How many other accommodations can boast a breakfast view as scenic as this one? Cool air, shielded from the morning sun, it is a great place to sit, take your time to enjoy your breakfast and relax! The breakfast is simple, yet awesome… tastes so yummy and homecooked. The porridge is amazing!
We booked Room Number 8 – the family room, for US$159.30 for 2 nights with breakfast. The room itself is sufficient for our needs, but nothing much to shout about.
Outside, there are some nice swings and decorations for the kids to explore.
- Price: (6.5 / 10) Not cheap, but reasonably priced, I guess, considering the location.
- Location: (11 / 10) An amazing breakfast view, and an awesome place to catch the sunset too!
- Condition: (7 / 10) The rooms was livable, but nothing more.
- Breakfast: (9 / 10) Simple and yet awesome! Love it!
- Staff: (7 / 10) Staff don’t speak English, but they have an awesome service attitude. They are well-versed in using the phone translator to communicate.
- Overall: (8 / 10) We would come back here, in a heartbeat. My youngest son, however, rated the hotel a ONE out of ten. Haha. He’s got a different measuring stick for sure!
- 2019 Thailand Fly and Drive
- Off to Bangkok
- Review: Ibis Styles Bangkok Sukhumvit 50
- Sara Jane’s @ the Empire Place
- Amazing Young Musician on the Streets
- Drive from Bangkok to Khao Kho
- Review: Tonkho at Home, Khao Kho
- Sunrise at Khao Takhian Ngo
- Temple on a Glass Cliff
- Tea @ Pino Latte
- Visit to the Weapon Museum
- Amazing Dinosaur!
- A Tale of Two Dinners
- Drive from Khao Kho to Chiang Mai
- Review: Ibis Styles Chiang Mai
- Chiang Mai Tribal Museum
- Wacky World of Insects!
- Driving the Mae Hong Son Loop
- Drive from Chiang Mai to Pang Mapha
- Pai Historical Bridge
- Pai Canyon
- Pai Land Split
- Review: Ban Keawmora, Pang Mapha
- Drive from Pang Mapha to Mae Win
- Long Neck Village
- Car Woes on the Way to Mae Win
- Day Trip to Doi Inthanon
- The Royal Twin Pagodas
- More Vehicle Misfortune and an Angel on a Motorbike
- Review: Mae Win Guesthouse and Resort
- Another Flat?! Drive from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khan
- Review: Phu Chiangkhan Hostel
- Chiang Khan Walking Street by Day
- The Majestic Mekong
- Chiang Khan Walking Street by Night
- Drive from Chiang Khan to Khon Kaen
- Review: Pullman Khon Kaen Raja Orchid
- The Problem of Laundry
- Birthday Day Out!
- The Nine-Storey Stupa
- Aura Farm
- King Cobra Village
- Khon Kaen City Museum
- 2019 Thailand Fly & Drive (Bangkok, Khao Kho, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son Loop, Chiang Khan, Khon Kaen, Khao Yai, Pattaya)
- 2019 Cameron Highlands Brothers Drive
- 2018 Bali Drive
- 2017 Hungary Winter Drive
- 2017 Hokkaido Winter Drive
- 2019 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2018 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Bangkok, Rayong)
- 2017 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2016 Drive from Singapore to Thailand