Join us at the Road Trips – Asia Facebook Group!
Thailand Fly & Drive – Part 6
On day 5 of our trip, we finally start our road trip proper. We pick up our rental car from the Hertz / Thrifty Car Rental Outlet just around the corner from our accommodation at the Empire Place.
Extremely good deal we got when we booked via the Holiday Autos website: 21 days rental for only US$334, with an additional 4% rebate because of our lifestyle membership programme!
- Car: Black Honda Jazz hatchback
- 91 Octane or 95 Octane Petrol
- Keyless Entry (ARGH!!)
- Documents required: Valid Driver’s License (Singapore License is good, no need for International Driver’s Permit), Credit Card for THB50,000 deposit, Passport, Printed Out Rental Voucher.
I must say the pick up process was very smooth, the staff spoke good English, and I even managed to change the drop off location to the Airport, with a free extension to 6pm, saving us the hassle and cost of getting a cab ride back to the airport on the last day!
Before handing over the car to me, the staff drove me to the nearest Shell petrol station, and topped up the fuel to full tank in my presence. Great service I say!!
I then drive back to the Empire place to pick up my family and the luggage, and we are off one our way!
We get stuck a bit in Bangkok’s famous traffic, but thankfully we make it to the highway in reasonable time, paying a combined toll of THB110 to get out of town.
Remember to go for the CASH lines and not the EASY PASS lines. I got stuck in the wrong line on our first drive to Bangkok, was quite embarrassed about that because I had to reverse back out and get to the correct line, inconveniencing the drivers behind me.
Clear skies, clear highway, a great day to be driving! It is theoretically a 5.5 hour drive from Bangkok to Khao Kho, covering 402km. There are two possible routes. I believe in the end we opted for the alternate route along Route 32 passing through Singburi.
Very smooth ride, save for two minor scares. One was a tractor-trailer attempting to do a scary stunt, cutting across the highway at right angles to the main traffic. He caught me off guard a little and I didn’t see him until rather late. Thankfully, he allowed me to zoom past before completing his maneuver. The other scare was even more dramatic. I saw a sizable rock approaching on the road, but the BMW in the front right lane didn’t. He ran over that rock at full speed causing an instant tire puncture and flipping the rock in my direction. Thankfully, the rock didn’t hit my car, and I managed to take some evasive action. The BMW wasn’t so fortunate. I saw the tire explode. Thank God the driver managed to retain control of his car, bringing it to the shoulder safely.
We arrive at the entry point to Khao Kho in good time, and take the Route 2258 up to the highlands, which are about 1000m above sea level. The roads are windy, but in good condition, and every now and then opens up into two lanes to allow for the easy overtaking of slow-moving traffic. Perhaps this is good warm-up for our attempt of the legendary 1864 curves at the Mae Hong Son loop in the next week!
We arrive at our accommodation, Tonkho@Home, in time for a beautiful sunset!
- 2019 Thailand Fly and Drive
- Off to Bangkok
- Review: Ibis Styles Bangkok Sukhumvit 50
- Sara Jane’s @ the Empire Place
- Amazing Young Musician on the Streets
- Drive from Bangkok to Khao Kho
- Review: Tonkho at Home, Khao Kho
- Sunrise at Khao Takhian Ngo
- Temple on a Glass Cliff
- Tea @ Pino Latte
- Visit to the Weapon Museum
- Amazing Dinosaur!
- A Tale of Two Dinners
- Drive from Khao Kho to Chiang Mai
- Review: Ibis Styles Chiang Mai
- Chiang Mai Tribal Museum
- Wacky World of Insects!
- Driving the Mae Hong Son Loop
- Drive from Chiang Mai to Pang Mapha
- Pai Historical Bridge
- Pai Canyon
- Pai Land Split
- Review: Ban Keawmora, Pang Mapha
- Drive from Pang Mapha to Mae Win
- Long Neck Village
- Car Woes on the Way to Mae Win
- Day Trip to Doi Inthanon
- The Royal Twin Pagodas
- More Vehicle Misfortune and an Angel on a Motorbike
- Review: Mae Win Guesthouse and Resort
- Another Flat?! Drive from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khan
- Review: Phu Chiangkhan Hostel
- Chiang Khan Walking Street by Day
- The Majestic Mekong
- Chiang Khan Walking Street by Night
- Drive from Chiang Khan to Khon Kaen
- Review: Pullman Khon Kaen Raja Orchid
- The Problem of Laundry
- Birthday Day Out!
- The Nine-Storey Stupa
- Aura Farm
- King Cobra Village
- Khon Kaen City Museum
- 2019 Thailand Fly & Drive (Bangkok, Khao Kho, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son Loop, Chiang Khan, Khon Kaen, Khao Yai, Pattaya)
- 2019 Cameron Highlands Brothers Drive
- 2018 Bali Drive
- 2017 Hungary Winter Drive
- 2017 Hokkaido Winter Drive
- 2019 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2018 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Bangkok, Rayong)
- 2017 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2016 Drive from Singapore to Thailand