Join us at the Road Trips – Asia Facebook Group!
Thailand Fly & Drive – Part 40 (Khon Kaen)
We pay a visit to the majestic Phra Mahathat Kaen Nakhon, also known as the “Nine-Storey Stupa”. Located near Kaen Nakhon Lake, this Thai royal temple was established to celebrate the golden jubilee of King Bhumibol Adulyadej‘s accession to the throne and also to mark the 200th anniversary of the establishment of Khon Kaen Province.
After parking the car, we approach the stupa, already impressed by its beautiful curves in gold and red which seem to sparkle in the sunlight. Entrance to the temple is free, but donations are welcome.
The outer walkways are wide at the base, but get progressively narrower as we climb up its nine tiers. Inside the temple, devotees and monks go about their rituals. Each tier features artwork, carvings and artifacts which are of historical significance.
We make our way up the stupa, level by level, enjoying the displays and the view. The carvings on the inside and outside of the building are intricate, and coated with bright gold.
The doors and the walls tell the stories of Buddha and the monks of the region.
The higher levels give an amazing 360 degree view of the lake and the city. You can see for miles all around!
The kids enjoyed exploring the temple. They liked the view too, but they were more intrigued by the old typewriters and other appliances on display in the temple museum.
The ninth and highest level is pretty cramped, featuring a shrine where many visitors and monks pay their respects. Even if you are not a Buddhist, the climbs is well worth it!
- 2019 Thailand Fly and Drive
- Off to Bangkok
- Review: Ibis Styles Bangkok Sukhumvit 50
- Sara Jane’s @ the Empire Place
- Amazing Young Musician on the Streets
- Drive from Bangkok to Khao Kho
- Review: Tonkho at Home, Khao Kho
- Sunrise at Khao Takhian Ngo
- Temple on a Glass Cliff
- Tea @ Pino Latte
- Visit to the Weapon Museum
- Amazing Dinosaur!
- A Tale of Two Dinners
- Drive from Khao Kho to Chiang Mai
- Review: Ibis Styles Chiang Mai
- Chiang Mai Tribal Museum
- Wacky World of Insects!
- Driving the Mae Hong Son Loop
- Drive from Chiang Mai to Pang Mapha
- Pai Historical Bridge
- Pai Canyon
- Pai Land Split
- Review: Ban Keawmora, Pang Mapha
- Drive from Pang Mapha to Mae Win
- Long Neck Village
- Car Woes on the Way to Mae Win
- Day Trip to Doi Inthanon
- The Royal Twin Pagodas
- More Vehicle Misfortune and an Angel on a Motorbike
- Review: Mae Win Guesthouse and Resort
- Another Flat?! Drive from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khan
- Review: Phu Chiangkhan Hostel
- Chiang Khan Walking Street by Day
- The Majestic Mekong
- Chiang Khan Walking Street by Night
- Drive from Chiang Khan to Khon Kaen
- Review: Pullman Khon Kaen Raja Orchid
- The Problem of Laundry
- Birthday Day Out!
- The Nine-Storey Stupa
- Aura Farm
- King Cobra Village
- Khon Kaen City Museum
- 2019 Thailand Fly & Drive (Bangkok, Khao Kho, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son Loop, Chiang Khan, Khon Kaen, Khao Yai, Pattaya)
- 2019 Cameron Highlands Brothers Drive
- 2018 Bali Drive
- 2017 Hungary Winter Drive
- 2017 Hokkaido Winter Drive
- 2019 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2018 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Bangkok, Rayong)
- 2017 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2016 Drive from Singapore to Thailand