Join us at the Road Trips – Asia Facebook Group!
Thailand Fly & Drive – Part 21 (Pai)
After the bridge, our next stop is at Pai Canyon, just a short drive away. There is no entrance fee, you can park your car at the small car park and take a short walk up the hill to reach the canyon. My wife and two boys didn’t want to go up, and I was also unsure about the safety of the conditions up there, so we left the three of them at the shed beside the car park, and my daughter and I made the climb up ourselves, along a paved staircase with a rope railing in the middle. The climb is manageable, but it takes a fair bit of stamina. Just don’t rush, take your time!
As we start our little walk up, we are welcomed ominously by the danger sign. When we reach the top, we realise that the sign really means business and is not for show. There are no safety railings and some of the paths are super narrow with a sheer drop on both left and right sides. With one wrong step or slip, it is so easy to plummet down the sides of the cliff and meet your maker.
You need to be sure-footed and confident here, but do not be overconfident and rush. Make sure you wear proper hiking shoes with good grip because that can mean the difference between life and death.
Discounting the dangers, this is a great place to take a walk and explore. The scenery is gorgeous and we hear that it is a fantastic place to see the sunrise or sunset.
It is also the perfect place to fly your drones. When we were up there, there was a group of drone pilots doing just that. I can imagine the videos and pictures taken around this area would be super cool! We didn’t have drones, and we didn’t venture far because my daughter did not have proper footwear on, but already, we manage to take quite a few nice shots! We spend a total time of about 40 minutes at the Canyon, including the time climbing up and down. It was certainly time well spent!
- Value for Money (10/10): Sometimes the best things in life are free!
- Quality of Attraction (8/10): Obviously not as majestic as the Grand Canyon, but it is a great place nonetheless to go for a wonderful scenic walk and clear your mind. I do wonder though how many people have lost their lives here.
- The Kids Loved It (10/10): Little Lioness Cub 10/10 “The scenery was very beautiful and I got to spend time with my Daddy!”
- The Adults Loved It: (10/10): I have not been to many canyons admittedly, but I definitely enjoyed this place. It would be so nice and serene to be able to walk for an extended time here, but we have more ground to cover and 3 people waiting for us below, so we couldn’t take too much time here.
- Memories Created (9/10): It was a lovely time to spend with my daughter. We didn’t get to walk very far because she did not have proper shoes and it was too dangerous. Plenty of places to take great photographs, but please don’t be foolish and attempt any crazy jump shots.
- Crowds (8/10): Not too crowded when we were there.
- OVERALL RATING: (9/10): It is understandable why this place is one of Pai’s most popular attractions! Well worth a visit but please pay close attention to your safety especially if you have young ones with you. This is no place for a kid to fool around.
- 2019 Thailand Fly and Drive
- Off to Bangkok
- Review: Ibis Styles Bangkok Sukhumvit 50
- Sara Jane’s @ the Empire Place
- Amazing Young Musician on the Streets
- Drive from Bangkok to Khao Kho
- Review: Tonkho at Home, Khao Kho
- Sunrise at Khao Takhian Ngo
- Temple on a Glass Cliff
- Tea @ Pino Latte
- Visit to the Weapon Museum
- Amazing Dinosaur!
- A Tale of Two Dinners
- Drive from Khao Kho to Chiang Mai
- Review: Ibis Styles Chiang Mai
- Chiang Mai Tribal Museum
- Wacky World of Insects!
- Driving the Mae Hong Son Loop
- Drive from Chiang Mai to Pang Mapha
- Pai Historical Bridge
- Pai Canyon
- Pai Land Split
- Review: Ban Keawmora, Pang Mapha
- Drive from Pang Mapha to Mae Win
- Long Neck Village
- Car Woes on the Way to Mae Win
- Day Trip to Doi Inthanon
- The Royal Twin Pagodas
- More Vehicle Misfortune and an Angel on a Motorbike
- Review: Mae Win Guesthouse and Resort
- Another Flat?! Drive from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khan
- Review: Phu Chiangkhan Hostel
- Chiang Khan Walking Street by Day
- The Majestic Mekong
- Chiang Khan Walking Street by Night
- Drive from Chiang Khan to Khon Kaen
- Review: Pullman Khon Kaen Raja Orchid
- The Problem of Laundry
- Birthday Day Out!
- The Nine-Storey Stupa
- Aura Farm
- King Cobra Village
- Khon Kaen City Museum
- 2019 Thailand Fly & Drive (Bangkok, Khao Kho, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son Loop, Chiang Khan, Khon Kaen, Khao Yai, Pattaya)
- 2019 Cameron Highlands Brothers Drive
- 2018 Bali Drive
- 2017 Hungary Winter Drive
- 2017 Hokkaido Winter Drive
- 2019 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2018 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Bangkok, Rayong)
- 2017 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2016 Drive from Singapore to Thailand