Join us at the Road Trips – Asia Facebook Group!
Thailand Fly & Drive – Part 19
This was our first day on the Mae Hong Son loop, and the 5th day of our road trip from Bangkok. We have a full breakfast, pack up and check out of our hotel in Chiang Mai. It had been a most enjoyable stay, albeit too short. We will definitely be coming back, as we have only just scratched the surface of what Chiang Mai has to offer.
Today would be a tough drive, especially being completely new to the road conditions along the loop. Thankfully, we have done the Tapah route up Cameron Highlands many times over the last decade, and that experience of navigating winding mountain roads certainly came in handy here.
Our destination today is Pang Mapha, the northernmost district of the Mae Hong Son province. The 170km journey makes for about three and a half hours of driving time, but we plan to make a couple of stops in Pai to check out some of the attractions around the area.
As we make our way up the mountains, we are amazed to see monks walking up the same winding roads. ON FOOT. Much respect… I wonder how far these monks have to walk every day.
We are grateful for the clear skies. The complication of rain would really throw a spanner in the works, but thankfully it was completely dry for us around the loop.
We find a spot where all the cars seem to be stopping by the side of the road… so we stopped as well to take a look.
Turns out the people are stretching their legs and taking the opportunity to take a photo. The view is slightly blocked, but still beautiful nonetheless, making for a decent panorama>>
After that pit-stop, we get back in the car and proceed on our left-right-left-right journey, opening the windows to let the fresh air into the car to ease the motion-sickness. We make good progress, and by 1 pm we approach the pretty little town of Pai, ever increasing in its popularity with visitors both local and foreign.
- 2019 Thailand Fly and Drive
- Off to Bangkok
- Review: Ibis Styles Bangkok Sukhumvit 50
- Sara Jane’s @ the Empire Place
- Amazing Young Musician on the Streets
- Drive from Bangkok to Khao Kho
- Review: Tonkho at Home, Khao Kho
- Sunrise at Khao Takhian Ngo
- Temple on a Glass Cliff
- Tea @ Pino Latte
- Visit to the Weapon Museum
- Amazing Dinosaur!
- A Tale of Two Dinners
- Drive from Khao Kho to Chiang Mai
- Review: Ibis Styles Chiang Mai
- Chiang Mai Tribal Museum
- Wacky World of Insects!
- Driving the Mae Hong Son Loop
- Drive from Chiang Mai to Pang Mapha
- Pai Historical Bridge
- Pai Canyon
- Pai Land Split
- Review: Ban Keawmora, Pang Mapha
- Drive from Pang Mapha to Mae Win
- Long Neck Village
- Car Woes on the Way to Mae Win
- Day Trip to Doi Inthanon
- The Royal Twin Pagodas
- More Vehicle Misfortune and an Angel on a Motorbike
- Review: Mae Win Guesthouse and Resort
- Another Flat?! Drive from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khan
- Review: Phu Chiangkhan Hostel
- Chiang Khan Walking Street by Day
- The Majestic Mekong
- Chiang Khan Walking Street by Night
- Drive from Chiang Khan to Khon Kaen
- Review: Pullman Khon Kaen Raja Orchid
- The Problem of Laundry
- Birthday Day Out!
- The Nine-Storey Stupa
- Aura Farm
- King Cobra Village
- Khon Kaen City Museum
- 2019 Thailand Fly & Drive (Bangkok, Khao Kho, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son Loop, Chiang Khan, Khon Kaen, Khao Yai, Pattaya)
- 2019 Cameron Highlands Brothers Drive
- 2018 Bali Drive
- 2017 Hungary Winter Drive
- 2017 Hokkaido Winter Drive
- 2019 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2018 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Bangkok, Rayong)
- 2017 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2016 Drive from Singapore to Thailand