Join us at the Road Trips – Asia Facebook Group!
Thailand Fly & Drive – Part 35 (Chiang Khan)
After a whole day of doing nothing much, walking around Chiang Khan just enjoying the view, we look forward to the evening. That is when the Chiang Khan walking street really comes to life.
As the sun begins to set, we see crowds gather to enjoy the view of the big orange ball of fire dipping behind the mountains with the Mekong River in the foreground. It is quite a sight, one which we enjoy from the comfort of our room balcony.
My kid’s suddenly let out a scream, and I jumped, wondering what had happened… I find out they have spotted an interesting guest chilling out at the foot of my chair. A huge moth with wings decorated in military colours. Very kick ass. That is one mean looking flying machine!
The sunset view is amazing, we marvel at the Creator’s breathtaking artistry of design.
After the sun goes down, the Chiang Khan walking street floods with people. Its amazing, where did all these people come from? In the day the street was so empty. Many of these people are Thai people who have traveled here just to experience this walking street. Thankfully, the street is wide and there is sufficient space to walk despite the great number of people there. The weather, the smells, and the architecture of the buildings there seem to transport us to somewhere much further north, in Taiwan, Korea or Japan. It was really fun to just walk down the street, soaking in the sights, the sounds and the smells!
There is plenty of street food to try, and we decide to go on a street food spending spree to try out some of the stuff that was available. We choose a little bit of everything that catches our eye, taking away so that we can enjoy the food later in the comfort of our hotel, away from the hustle and bustle of the street.
So plenty of seafood sticks, Thai style fried pancakes, stuffed french toast, sausages, veggie spring rolls, sushi and sashimi, tempura mushrooms…. lots of good stuff! There was something for everyone! Surprisingly, out of all the food we got, the sushi and sashimi was the best in quality and taste! We weren’t expecting to find such fresh tasting Japanese food along a Thai street market!
After a great meal, the kids and I head out again for another walk down the street, and another round of chocolate fondue treats!
Here is a little taste of what walking down the Chiang Khan Walking Street looks like!
Besides food, the shopping here is not bad too! Prices are reasonable, and I purchase a set of matching Chiang Khan T-shirts for me and my wife.
All in all, the street has lived up to its billing as a top attraction. I was skeptical at first when I first booked the hotel here, but now that we are here to experience it first hand, we can see why so many people have said so many good things about this place!
- 2019 Thailand Fly and Drive
- Off to Bangkok
- Review: Ibis Styles Bangkok Sukhumvit 50
- Sara Jane’s @ the Empire Place
- Amazing Young Musician on the Streets
- Drive from Bangkok to Khao Kho
- Review: Tonkho at Home, Khao Kho
- Sunrise at Khao Takhian Ngo
- Temple on a Glass Cliff
- Tea @ Pino Latte
- Visit to the Weapon Museum
- Amazing Dinosaur!
- A Tale of Two Dinners
- Drive from Khao Kho to Chiang Mai
- Review: Ibis Styles Chiang Mai
- Chiang Mai Tribal Museum
- Wacky World of Insects!
- Driving the Mae Hong Son Loop
- Drive from Chiang Mai to Pang Mapha
- Pai Historical Bridge
- Pai Canyon
- Pai Land Split
- Review: Ban Keawmora, Pang Mapha
- Drive from Pang Mapha to Mae Win
- Long Neck Village
- Car Woes on the Way to Mae Win
- Day Trip to Doi Inthanon
- The Royal Twin Pagodas
- More Vehicle Misfortune and an Angel on a Motorbike
- Review: Mae Win Guesthouse and Resort
- Another Flat?! Drive from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khan
- Review: Phu Chiangkhan Hostel
- Chiang Khan Walking Street by Day
- The Majestic Mekong
- Chiang Khan Walking Street by Night
- Drive from Chiang Khan to Khon Kaen
- Review: Pullman Khon Kaen Raja Orchid
- The Problem of Laundry
- Birthday Day Out!
- The Nine-Storey Stupa
- Aura Farm
- King Cobra Village
- Khon Kaen City Museum
- 2019 Thailand Fly & Drive (Bangkok, Khao Kho, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son Loop, Chiang Khan, Khon Kaen, Khao Yai, Pattaya)
- 2019 Cameron Highlands Brothers Drive
- 2018 Bali Drive
- 2017 Hungary Winter Drive
- 2017 Hokkaido Winter Drive
- 2019 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2018 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Bangkok, Rayong)
- 2017 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2016 Drive from Singapore to Thailand