Join us at the Road Trips – Asia Facebook Group!
2019 Thailand Fly & Drive – Part 8 (Khao Kho)
One of the best things you can do at Khao Kho is to chase the sunrise. There are many spots you can go to. You have to wake up early to find a good car park sport, and also hope that you get cooperative weather for the best shots. The alternative is to just embrace the wild and camp overnight at the many available campsites, so that you can reserve your preferred spot from the night before.
I am not really a fan of camping, and so I wake up early, about 5:30am. I try to wake up my kids, but it was all in vain, so I set off on my own.
The plan was to head nearby, a 20 minute drive from my hotel to the Khao Takhian Ngo Scenic Spot. Thankfully, there are sufficient car park spots when I arrive. I take the short walk up the hill to the view point. There are already many people there and some have been camping overnight.
The sunrise starts with a glow of light peaking over the horizon. It is nice to just be still, reflect and pray, and to enjoy the sights and sounds of dawn!
Then the arc of the fireball starts to be visible, rising up from behind the mountain backdrop.
As it rises, there is a pretty sunburst, with the orange rays of light piercing through the distant skies. It is a pity that today, we didn’t get the famous “sea of clouds” effect in the valley below. I didn’t get lucky with the weather 😛
Life goes on, I go on taking shots with the rising sun!
By 7am, the magic is over, it is time to head back down the hill to pick up the car and have breakfast with my family.
- 2019 Thailand Fly and Drive
- Off to Bangkok
- Review: Ibis Styles Bangkok Sukhumvit 50
- Sara Jane’s @ the Empire Place
- Amazing Young Musician on the Streets
- Drive from Bangkok to Khao Kho
- Review: Tonkho at Home, Khao Kho
- Sunrise at Khao Takhian Ngo
- Temple on a Glass Cliff
- Tea @ Pino Latte
- Visit to the Weapon Museum
- Amazing Dinosaur!
- A Tale of Two Dinners
- Drive from Khao Kho to Chiang Mai
- Review: Ibis Styles Chiang Mai
- Chiang Mai Tribal Museum
- Wacky World of Insects!
- Driving the Mae Hong Son Loop
- Drive from Chiang Mai to Pang Mapha
- Pai Historical Bridge
- Pai Canyon
- Pai Land Split
- Review: Ban Keawmora, Pang Mapha
- Drive from Pang Mapha to Mae Win
- Long Neck Village
- Car Woes on the Way to Mae Win
- Day Trip to Doi Inthanon
- The Royal Twin Pagodas
- More Vehicle Misfortune and an Angel on a Motorbike
- Review: Mae Win Guesthouse and Resort
- Another Flat?! Drive from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khan
- Review: Phu Chiangkhan Hostel
- Chiang Khan Walking Street by Day
- The Majestic Mekong
- Chiang Khan Walking Street by Night
- Drive from Chiang Khan to Khon Kaen
- Review: Pullman Khon Kaen Raja Orchid
- The Problem of Laundry
- Birthday Day Out!
- The Nine-Storey Stupa
- Aura Farm
- King Cobra Village
- Khon Kaen City Museum
- 2019 Thailand Fly & Drive (Bangkok, Khao Kho, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son Loop, Chiang Khan, Khon Kaen, Khao Yai, Pattaya)
- 2019 Cameron Highlands Brothers Drive
- 2018 Bali Drive
- 2017 Hungary Winter Drive
- 2017 Hokkaido Winter Drive
- 2019 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2018 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Bangkok, Rayong)
- 2017 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2016 Drive from Singapore to Thailand