Join us at the Road Trips – Asia Facebook Group!
Thailand Fly & Drive – Part 11 (Khao Kho)
After tea, we head back to Khao Kho town and take a look at the Weapon Museum which is about a 17 minute drive from the town centre along some really lovely country roads.
This is a rather small compound and an easy walk for the kids. Entrance fee is negligible at THB10 for adults and the kids manage to get in free of charge. The museum is outdoors and features the remnants of old helicopters, fighter jets and artillery guns. To be honest, the exhibits are not in great condition and there is only limited hardware on display. Hardcore military fanatics might be greatly disappointed here. But if your goal is to entertain the kids and get them to see something different, and at a reasonable cost, then you would definitely appreciate this place.
There are plenty of photo opportunities and the view from the compound is great on both sides. The kids love playing at the giant swings and exploring the military bunkers, shooting imaginary bullets and artillery shells.
Surprisingly, my daughter loved role-playing at the machine guns. My eldest son enjoyed looking at the armoured vehicles.
Expect to spend about 30 to 45 minutes here max.
- Value for Money (10/10): THB10 to entertain the kids for an hour. Great value!
- Quality of Exhibits (5/10): The exhibits could have been more extensive and the explanations could have been more engaging.
- The Kids Loved It (8/10): Little Baby Lion 10/10 “because of the guns”; Little Lion Cub 5/10 “the museum was too small”; Little Lioness Cub 8/10 “I like the planes there”
- The Adults Loved It: (6.5/10): A reasonably nice place to walk around, enjoy the weather and entertain the kids.
- Memories Created (6/10): Definitely unique compared to the other attractions in the area, but I reckon other places would be more memorable than this museum.
- Crowds (8/10): Quite empty. I like!
- OVERALL RATING: (6.5/10) Quite polarizing to rate, could easily be a place you love or a place you would rather give a miss for other more worthy places of interest.
- 2019 Thailand Fly and Drive
- Off to Bangkok
- Review: Ibis Styles Bangkok Sukhumvit 50
- Sara Jane’s @ the Empire Place
- Amazing Young Musician on the Streets
- Drive from Bangkok to Khao Kho
- Review: Tonkho at Home, Khao Kho
- Sunrise at Khao Takhian Ngo
- Temple on a Glass Cliff
- Tea @ Pino Latte
- Visit to the Weapon Museum
- Amazing Dinosaur!
- A Tale of Two Dinners
- Drive from Khao Kho to Chiang Mai
- Review: Ibis Styles Chiang Mai
- Chiang Mai Tribal Museum
- Wacky World of Insects!
- Driving the Mae Hong Son Loop
- Drive from Chiang Mai to Pang Mapha
- Pai Historical Bridge
- Pai Canyon
- Pai Land Split
- Review: Ban Keawmora, Pang Mapha
- Drive from Pang Mapha to Mae Win
- Long Neck Village
- Car Woes on the Way to Mae Win
- Day Trip to Doi Inthanon
- The Royal Twin Pagodas
- More Vehicle Misfortune and an Angel on a Motorbike
- Review: Mae Win Guesthouse and Resort
- Another Flat?! Drive from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khan
- Review: Phu Chiangkhan Hostel
- Chiang Khan Walking Street by Day
- The Majestic Mekong
- Chiang Khan Walking Street by Night
- Drive from Chiang Khan to Khon Kaen
- Review: Pullman Khon Kaen Raja Orchid
- The Problem of Laundry
- Birthday Day Out!
- The Nine-Storey Stupa
- Aura Farm
- King Cobra Village
- Khon Kaen City Museum
- 2019 Thailand Fly & Drive (Bangkok, Khao Kho, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son Loop, Chiang Khan, Khon Kaen, Khao Yai, Pattaya)
- 2019 Cameron Highlands Brothers Drive
- 2018 Bali Drive
- 2017 Hungary Winter Drive
- 2017 Hokkaido Winter Drive
- 2019 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2018 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Bangkok, Rayong)
- 2017 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2016 Drive from Singapore to Thailand