Join us at the Road Trips – Asia Facebook Group!
Thailand Fly & Drive – Part 15 (Chiang Mai)
Even billed under the same hotel chain, not all hotels are made equal. We have had the privilege of enjoying stays across the Accor chain for the past 15 years. The experience has generally been a positive one. There are times, though, where we have been deeply disappointed, but there have been times where our expectations have been exceeded greatly.
This was our first time in Chiang Mai, and the first time at the Ibis Styles Hotel here, and we were absolutely bowled over with the quality of the service received here. We paid US$125.70 for 2 nights in a Family Room (40 m²) with breakfast. The hotel felt like it was brand new, with the rooms spick and span and the decor chic and youthful. We were greeted with great enthusiasm by the welcome team, with the staff even happily giving our kids high fives and putting plastic crowns on their heads. As we were checking-in, the kids found their spot at the computers happily playing their Roblox.
To our surprise, the family room was actually two separate connecting rooms, and so the combined room area was huge! It turned out to be a very comfortable stay indeed!
Breakfast was very good, especially by Ibis standards. Good spread, good taste, we happily ate our fill.
For the adults, the best part of the hotel was the restaurant. It was completely empty when we went to take our dinner, but the standard of the food was incredible. Absolute top-notch restaurant standard, and yet so reasonably priced. Our first day, we ordered 4 dishes, and after the Accor 50% discount, it turned out to be only THB275. Our cheapest meal at a restaurant in Thailand, and we received the best food ever! Every dish was a masterpiece, so tasty. It was so great that we came back again the second day for another round of gastronomic delight!
- Price: (10 / 10) Excellent value for money with a Family Room which is actually two rooms connected together!
- Location: (8/ 10) A good location which is at the edge of the city centre, within walking distance to many sights, but perhaps not completely in the heart of the city.
- Condition: (10 / 10) The hotel and rooms are in excellent condition. Decor is very tastefully done. Very comfortable.
- Food (10 / 10) Great breakfast, and even better food when you order from the Pixel restaurant at dinner time! Our cheapest meal (because of the Accor Privileges) but the best of our trip, by far!
- Staff: (10 / 10) The staff were amazing, very genuine, very helpful!
- Overall: (10 / 10) The best hotel of our stay, arguably even better than the Marriott Empire Place (because of the value for money!)
- 2019 Thailand Fly and Drive
- Off to Bangkok
- Review: Ibis Styles Bangkok Sukhumvit 50
- Sara Jane’s @ the Empire Place
- Amazing Young Musician on the Streets
- Drive from Bangkok to Khao Kho
- Review: Tonkho at Home, Khao Kho
- Sunrise at Khao Takhian Ngo
- Temple on a Glass Cliff
- Tea @ Pino Latte
- Visit to the Weapon Museum
- Amazing Dinosaur!
- A Tale of Two Dinners
- Drive from Khao Kho to Chiang Mai
- Review: Ibis Styles Chiang Mai
- Chiang Mai Tribal Museum
- Wacky World of Insects!
- Driving the Mae Hong Son Loop
- Drive from Chiang Mai to Pang Mapha
- Pai Historical Bridge
- Pai Canyon
- Pai Land Split
- Review: Ban Keawmora, Pang Mapha
- Drive from Pang Mapha to Mae Win
- Long Neck Village
- Car Woes on the Way to Mae Win
- Day Trip to Doi Inthanon
- The Royal Twin Pagodas
- More Vehicle Misfortune and an Angel on a Motorbike
- Review: Mae Win Guesthouse and Resort
- Another Flat?! Drive from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khan
- Review: Phu Chiangkhan Hostel
- Chiang Khan Walking Street by Day
- The Majestic Mekong
- Chiang Khan Walking Street by Night
- Drive from Chiang Khan to Khon Kaen
- Review: Pullman Khon Kaen Raja Orchid
- The Problem of Laundry
- Birthday Day Out!
- The Nine-Storey Stupa
- Aura Farm
- King Cobra Village
- Khon Kaen City Museum
- 2019 Thailand Fly & Drive (Bangkok, Khao Kho, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son Loop, Chiang Khan, Khon Kaen, Khao Yai, Pattaya)
- 2019 Cameron Highlands Brothers Drive
- 2018 Bali Drive
- 2017 Hungary Winter Drive
- 2017 Hokkaido Winter Drive
- 2019 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2018 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Bangkok, Rayong)
- 2017 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2016 Drive from Singapore to Thailand