Join us at the Road Trips – Asia Facebook Group!
Thailand Fly & Drive – Part 36
Our two nights at Chiang Khan pass way too soon, leaving us yearning for more. Perhaps it is because we had arrived late on the first night. The contrast of the meditative canvas of the Mekong in the morning and the enthralling energy of the Walking Street in the evening have firmly etched themselves into our minds.
We use the our remaining food coupons for our breakfast, before packing and and setting off on today’s journey. We have a comfortable four hour, 266km drive to Khon Kaen, one of the “Big Four” cities of the Isan region.
As we drive out of the Chiang Khan walking street, we say goodbye, and enjoy one last look at its charming wooden shop houses. Something tells me we will be coming back.
We drive down Route 201 towards Chiyaphum and then make a left turn and take the Route 12 towards Khon Kaen. It is a beautiful day for driving, with crystal clear skies and gorgeous countryside scenery.
In no time, we reach Khon Kaen province, and then Khon Kaen city, which gives us a huge dinosaur-sized welcome!
Apparently, the Isan region in North-east Thailand is famous for its dinosaurs, with many dinosaur fossils being found across the entire Korat Plateau where they were once plentiful. There is an interesting little dinosaur museum and a research centre in Phu Wiang, a town in Khon Kaen province which we actually passed on our journey today. If we had known about it beforehand, we would have paid it a visit.
Well, something to aim for on our next drive back to the region!
- 2019 Thailand Fly and Drive
- Off to Bangkok
- Review: Ibis Styles Bangkok Sukhumvit 50
- Sara Jane’s @ the Empire Place
- Amazing Young Musician on the Streets
- Drive from Bangkok to Khao Kho
- Review: Tonkho at Home, Khao Kho
- Sunrise at Khao Takhian Ngo
- Temple on a Glass Cliff
- Tea @ Pino Latte
- Visit to the Weapon Museum
- Amazing Dinosaur!
- A Tale of Two Dinners
- Drive from Khao Kho to Chiang Mai
- Review: Ibis Styles Chiang Mai
- Chiang Mai Tribal Museum
- Wacky World of Insects!
- Driving the Mae Hong Son Loop
- Drive from Chiang Mai to Pang Mapha
- Pai Historical Bridge
- Pai Canyon
- Pai Land Split
- Review: Ban Keawmora, Pang Mapha
- Drive from Pang Mapha to Mae Win
- Long Neck Village
- Car Woes on the Way to Mae Win
- Day Trip to Doi Inthanon
- The Royal Twin Pagodas
- More Vehicle Misfortune and an Angel on a Motorbike
- Review: Mae Win Guesthouse and Resort
- Another Flat?! Drive from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khan
- Review: Phu Chiangkhan Hostel
- Chiang Khan Walking Street by Day
- The Majestic Mekong
- Chiang Khan Walking Street by Night
- Drive from Chiang Khan to Khon Kaen
- Review: Pullman Khon Kaen Raja Orchid
- The Problem of Laundry
- Birthday Day Out!
- The Nine-Storey Stupa
- Aura Farm
- King Cobra Village
- Khon Kaen City Museum
- 2019 Thailand Fly & Drive (Bangkok, Khao Kho, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son Loop, Chiang Khan, Khon Kaen, Khao Yai, Pattaya)
- 2019 Cameron Highlands Brothers Drive
- 2018 Bali Drive
- 2017 Hungary Winter Drive
- 2017 Hokkaido Winter Drive
- 2019 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2018 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Bangkok, Rayong)
- 2017 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2016 Drive from Singapore to Thailand