2019 Thailand Fly & Drive – Part 5
Being a musician myself, I’m not easily impressed by street performers. This girl though, is something special. As impressive as it is to be able to perform classical works of such difficulty at such a tender age, what is even more impressive is her will to succeed against all the odds, not letting the inherent disadvantages of her family situation get in the way of her achieving her dreams.
Singaporean kids, in contrast, have it so easy, with all the opportunities to be exposed to music and other forms of enrichment from a young age. It is so easy to take things for granted, to develop an unhealthy sense of privilege. When we don’t work hard for the things that we yearn for, our sense of satisfaction is diminished, and our achievements ring hollow.
Young Maki works hard every evening after school, performing on the streets to hone her craft and to earn the THB50000 she needs every month to pay for her piano and violin lessons. Our kids, in contrast, expect things to be handed to them on a silver platter. I’m glad my daughter was there with me to watch Maki perform. I asked her to watch and learn, and gave her some money to make a donation.
If you are around Sathorn district at the Chong Nonsi BTS Station, go NOW… give her a donation and listen to her wonderful music! This is a cause worth supporting. We have much to learn from the fighting spirit displayed by young Maki. Adults and kids alike, we have much to learn!
Mark my words, with her resilience, her talent, and her hard work, great things are in store for this young girl!
- 2019 Thailand Fly and Drive
- Off to Bangkok
- Review: Ibis Styles Bangkok Sukhumvit 50
- Sara Jane’s @ the Empire Place
- Amazing Young Musician on the Streets
- Drive from Bangkok to Khao Kho
- Review: Tonkho at Home, Khao Kho
- Sunrise at Khao Takhian Ngo
- Temple on a Glass Cliff
- Tea @ Pino Latte
- Visit to the Weapon Museum
- Amazing Dinosaur!
- A Tale of Two Dinners
- Drive from Khao Kho to Chiang Mai
- Review: Ibis Styles Chiang Mai
- Chiang Mai Tribal Museum
- World Insects and Natural Wonders!
- 2019 Thailand Fly & Drive (Bangkok, Khao Kho, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son Loop, Chiang Khan, Khon Kaen, Khao Yai, Pattaya)
- 2019 Cameron Highlands Brothers Drive
- 2018 Bali Drive
- 2017 Hungary Winter Drive
- 2017 Hokkaido Winter Drive
- 2019 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2018 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Bangkok, Rayong)
- 2017 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2016 Drive from Singapore to Thailand