Join us at the Road Trips – Asia Facebook Group!
Thailand Fly & Drive – Part 34
The Mekong, 12th longest river in the world, its 4350km length running through China, Myanmar, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. Steeped in history, with so much of South-East Asia relying on it for sustenance, resources and trade through the years.
Chiang Khan is one of the many towns that line the majestic Mekong. It is a great place to appreciate the mystique and magic of this beautiful river. Running parallel to the Chiang Khan walking street is a great riverside walkway, really nicely done up and perfect for taking taking a scenic jog or a slow meaningful walk with your loved ones.
There are plenty of pretty places to take a photograph, with flowers, viewing platforms, and posing points complete with Thai text…
The riverside path is not too crowded, and so inviting that I must have walked down that stretch at least 3 times that day, twice with my family, and once more later in the afternoon on my own.
Across the river, the pretty little settlements and hills of Laos add flavour to the backdrop, and the cool weather in winter just makes it perfect for a serene stroll in the mid day sun!
As you can see, the kids enjoyed their time, just gazing out at the river, watching the waters flow and the birds circle above the waters.
They found plenty of places to fool around and take pictures.
Right at the end of the river walk, the pedestrian pathway gives way to what looked like a well-maintained cycle path, which I did not get to explore that day.
There was a play ground and a sand pit, where the kids enjoyed running around and having a good time of outdoor fun.
If I had the opportunity to come back here, I would definitely choose to spend a few more days to just relax in Chiang Khan, perhaps do a personal retreat. Every day, I would take this wonderful riverside walk, and maybe also try renting a bicycle to explore further downstream along that cycle path.
After we walk back to our hotel, we spend some time just sitting at our room balcony, doing up our blog while admiring the magnificent view. This is certainly a great place to reflect on the year that has passed, and to take stock of one’s life!
Later on in the afternoon, I go back down to jog along the riverside. At one end, the crowds are starting to build up, with the street buskers setting up their stations and street artists doing up instant portraits at the river side.
At the other end of the riverside walkway, a little girl sits under the umbrella of a sprawling tree, happily peeling her banana, while her mother prepares dinner in a makeshift kitchen at the side of the road. Oh… the simple joys of life.
As the sun rapidly descends in the west, I make my way back towards the hotel to freshen up, and to prepare for the spectacle of sunset. It has been a wonderful time spent just doing nothing much!
- 2019 Thailand Fly and Drive
- Off to Bangkok
- Review: Ibis Styles Bangkok Sukhumvit 50
- Sara Jane’s @ the Empire Place
- Amazing Young Musician on the Streets
- Drive from Bangkok to Khao Kho
- Review: Tonkho at Home, Khao Kho
- Sunrise at Khao Takhian Ngo
- Temple on a Glass Cliff
- Tea @ Pino Latte
- Visit to the Weapon Museum
- Amazing Dinosaur!
- A Tale of Two Dinners
- Drive from Khao Kho to Chiang Mai
- Review: Ibis Styles Chiang Mai
- Chiang Mai Tribal Museum
- Wacky World of Insects!
- Driving the Mae Hong Son Loop
- Drive from Chiang Mai to Pang Mapha
- Pai Historical Bridge
- Pai Canyon
- Pai Land Split
- Review: Ban Keawmora, Pang Mapha
- Drive from Pang Mapha to Mae Win
- Long Neck Village
- Car Woes on the Way to Mae Win
- Day Trip to Doi Inthanon
- The Royal Twin Pagodas
- More Vehicle Misfortune and an Angel on a Motorbike
- Review: Mae Win Guesthouse and Resort
- Another Flat?! Drive from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khan
- Review: Phu Chiangkhan Hostel
- Chiang Khan Walking Street by Day
- The Majestic Mekong
- Chiang Khan Walking Street by Night
- Drive from Chiang Khan to Khon Kaen
- Review: Pullman Khon Kaen Raja Orchid
- The Problem of Laundry
- Birthday Day Out!
- The Nine-Storey Stupa
- Aura Farm
- King Cobra Village
- Khon Kaen City Museum
- 2019 Thailand Fly & Drive (Bangkok, Khao Kho, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son Loop, Chiang Khan, Khon Kaen, Khao Yai, Pattaya)
- 2019 Cameron Highlands Brothers Drive
- 2018 Bali Drive
- 2017 Hungary Winter Drive
- 2017 Hokkaido Winter Drive
- 2019 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2018 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Bangkok, Rayong)
- 2017 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2016 Drive from Singapore to Thailand