Today’s drive would be a 530km leg from Hatyai to Kuala Lumpur.
This was the first time we spent the night in Hatyai on the way back to Malaysia, and hence, this was the first time we made the Sadao – Bukit Kayu Hitam crosssing in the morning.
Before crossing the border, we filled everyone up with a hearty brunch at our favorite rest-stop Tesco Lotus Sadao. Good food options here in air-conditioned comfort, and you can also do your last minute shopping of snacks at the Tesco hypermarket before heading back into Malaysia.
Crossing in the late morning is good, as the traffic is relatively light, and we managed to clear both checkpoints within 30 minutes.
The important thing to remember when crossing back through Sadao is that you have to return your vehicle customs form at Booth 8, dutifully signed. This might be easy to overlook, but if you don’t return the form, you might run into trouble the next time you drive back into Thailand. There have been reports of people being fined for not returning or not properly signing the form.
On the Malaysia end, it is very smooth sailing, a very far cry from the crowds at Woodlands or Tuas. Just be prepared to scan your index fingers, no need to pay anything.
After crossing, it is about 5 hours to reach Kuala Lumpur. We get caught up with the heavy traffic around Penang, but after that it is smooth sailing until we reach the Malaysian capital city.
Being stuck in a jam is never fun, but facing a jam after you have driven for 5 hours straight is even more morale sapping. 🙂 What to do? As a road-tripper, we have to take both the bad times and the good. Jams in KL can get pretty messy, have to be alert and to keep your composure.
We were grateful to reach our hotel before dark – Ibis Styles Fraser Business Park.
Part 17 – Time to brake up, but hopefully not break apart?
- 2019 Drive from Singapore to Thailand
- Crossing the Sadao Border
- Selamat Hari Raya
- Day of Rest
- Expectation Vs. Reality
- Krabi Krazy
- A Scenic Leisurely Drive
- Home Away From Home
- Sunsets, Beaches and Takeaways
- Off to Phuket Town
- Phuket Trickeye Museum
- Phuket Aquarium
- Naka Night Market Hit and Run
- Time to Head Home
- Hey Hat Yai!
- Last Stop Kuala Lumpur
- Brake Pads, Movie and Humpty Dumpty
- Flaming Lorries and Happy Memories
- Route Summary
- Concluding Thoughts
- 2019 Thailand Fly & Drive (Bangkok, Khao Kho, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son, Chiang Khan, Khon Kaen, Khao Yai, Pattaya)
- 2019 Cameron Highlands Brothers Drive
- 2018 Bali Drive
- 2017 Hungary Winter Drive
- 2017 Hokkaido Winter Drive
- 2019 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2018 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Bangkok, Rayong)
- 2017 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2016 Drive from Singapore to Thailand