After 3 nights in Phuket City, it was now time to pack our bags and head back towards Singapore. The process of heading home will take a few days yet, so that gives us a longer runway to feel sad that our holiday is drawing to a close!
Still, we are grateful to have had the time to spend together as a family. We treasure these times as they are the precious days in the year that we live, eat and breath together, without the distractions of work and school, and without the help of any one else. For better or for worse, we have the three kids all to ourselves! 😛 Especially for me as a father, when we are in Singapore, I am hardly at home as I have to work a number of jobs to support the family. By the time I’m home from work, the kids are often already in bed, or just about to go to bed. The time that I have with them is fleeting, just ten minutes or half and hour here and there in the middle of the day.
While we are on our long drives, it is my time to make it up to them. Daddy intensive time!
Today’s drive would take us 437 kilometres to Hat Yai, where we would spend a couple of nights to explore. Normally, we would skip Hat Yai completely, and cross the border and spend the night in Jitra or Alor Setar, but for this trip we decide to mix things up a little.
After feasting on our last buffet breakfast at the Novotel, we say bye bye to our hotel, and drive off, enjoy the last sights of Phuket City.
We drive past our favorite Tesco Lotus Thalang, and then the familiar entrance to our Marriott resorts at the north of the island, and cross over the Sarasin bridge back onto the mainland.
We pass the scenic roads of Phang Nga and Krabi, head inwards towards Trang, cross the pretty hills on route to Phattalung, and get back on to the AH2 motorway heading towards Hat Yai.
There is much to see around this area, but we have always just driven straight through. On a future trip we need to take some more time to explore further! Next June we need to stay at least one night in Trang or Phattalung!
Part 15 – Hat Yai how are you??
- 2019 Drive from Singapore to Thailand
- Crossing the Sadao Border
- Selamat Hari Raya
- Day of Rest
- Expectation Vs. Reality
- Krabi Krazy
- A Scenic Leisurely Drive
- Home Away From Home
- Sunsets, Beaches and Takeaways
- Off to Phuket Town
- Phuket Trickeye Museum
- Phuket Aquarium
- Naka Night Market Hit and Run
- Time to Head Home
- Hey Hat Yai!
- Last Stop Kuala Lumpur
- Brake Pads, Movie and Humpty Dumpty
- Flaming Lorries and Happy Memories
- Route Summary
- Concluding Thoughts
- 2019 Thailand Fly & Drive (Bangkok, Khao Kho, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son, Chiang Khan, Khon Kaen, Khao Yai, Pattaya)
- 2019 Cameron Highlands Brothers Drive
- 2018 Bali Drive
- 2017 Hungary Winter Drive
- 2017 Hokkaido Winter Drive
- 2019 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2018 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Bangkok, Rayong)
- 2017 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2016 Drive from Singapore to Thailand