No I didn’t hit a pedestrian and drive away, it is just a figure of speech…. 😛
After settling dinner for my family, wanted to take a night walk. Changed my mind on a whim and turned the plan into a night drive instead.
Drive where? To the Naka Weekend Night Market I go!
There wasn’t really anything I was itching to buy, neither was there anything I was itching to snack on, but I was curious at what I would find there.
Just a 3.6km drive East from the hotel, I was most worried about finding an appropriate place to park my car. Sure enough, the roads beside the market were packed with parked cars. It took me awhile to find a lot some distance away from the market. I wasn’t sure if where I parked was a legal lot, and so I decided to keep my exploration of the market a quick one.
The market occupies quite a big land area and is covered and protected from the rain. I was quite surprised at how spacious the aisles and walkways were compared to the other night markets I’ve seen in other parts of Thailand. This is really quite a great place to pick up an interesting souvenir or gift for friends and family back home. There was great variety in the items being sold and you can easily find something for every taste.
Surprisingly, the market was also rather empty at the time I was there with not many shoppers walking the rows of shops. It could possibly be that I went rather late in the night during the low season.
Being worried that my car was parked in an illegal spot, I didn’t stay at the market for long. But it definitely was a place that I would want to come back the next time, for a longer visit. Note to self for future trips…. 🙂
Getting into my car to head back to my hotel, I put on some nice Thai music on the radio, press start on the video recorder, and you can get a sense of what it is like to take a night drive in Phuket City:
Click HERE for the next part of the blog series where I share about why I enjoy these family road trips so much, as well as about our journey back towards Hat Yai.
Part 14 – All good things must come to an end… 😦
- 2019 Drive from Singapore to Thailand
- Crossing the Sadao Border
- Selamat Hari Raya
- Day of Rest
- Expectation Vs. Reality
- Krabi Krazy
- A Scenic Leisurely Drive
- Home Away From Home
- Sunsets, Beaches and Takeaways
- Off to Phuket Town
- Phuket Trickeye Museum
- Phuket Aquarium
- Naka Night Market Hit and Run
- Time to Head Home
- Hey Hat Yai!
- Last Stop Kuala Lumpur
- Brake Pads, Movie and Humpty Dumpty
- Flaming Lorries and Happy Memories
- Route Summary
- Concluding Thoughts
- 2019 Thailand Fly & Drive (Bangkok, Khao Kho, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son Loop, Chiang Khan, Khon Kaen, Khao Yai, Pattaya)
- 2019 Cameron Highlands Brothers Drive
- 2018 Bali Drive
- 2017 Hungary Winter Drive
- 2017 Hokkaido Winter Drive
- 2019 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2018 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Bangkok, Rayong)
- 2017 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2016 Drive from Singapore to Thailand