This is the third time we have come to Hokkaido, but in our previous trips we have never visited Otaru. Otaru is a small harbour city, easily accessible from Sapporo by a 30 minute train ride. It is famous for the freshness of its sushi, as well as its canal walks and quaint shopping streets.
Having only one afternoon and evening to explore, we decided to take a walk down the Otaru Sakaimachi Shopping Street, which is popular with tourists and locals alike. Along this street, you can find plenty of local delicacies to eat, restaurants, snacks, deserts, mementos, everything that a tourist will need!
We had lunch at a sushi restaurant, and the food was delicious indeed!
After lunch, we topped up with desserts from the Japanese Maccha Sweets shop, where they serve all sorts of Japanese Green Tea desserts, pastries and ice-cream.
Walking further down the street, we picked up some souvenirs and eventually ended up at the Otaru Music Box Museum. This is a very interesting place, filled with music boxes of all shapes and forms. They also sell a host of music boxes of different grades and designs, but all of them were well crafted and unique. The prices are also pretty reasonable, considering the workmanship.
We happily chose a simple music box with a lovely tune to bring back as a keepsake.
After the museum visit, we headed back to the hotel to rest and recharge.
This is part 4 of my Hokkaido Winter Drive blog series, click HERE for part 5 where I share about how to navigate the Japanese petrol stations without knowing any Japanese and our trip to the highland ski resort at Niseko!
- Part 1 – 2017 Hokkaido Winter Drive
- Part 2 – Sapporo to Jozankei
- Part 3 – Jozankei to Otaru
- Part 4 – Otaru City
- Part 5 – Otaru to Niseko
- Part 6 – Niseko to Lake Toya, Noboribetsu
- Part 7 – Jigokudani (Hell Valley)
- Part 8 – Kojohama
- Part 9 – Back to New Chitose Airport
- Part 10 – Concluding Thoughts
My wife and I enjoy having guests over at our place for fellowship over a nice home-cooked meal. If you would like to drop by to try some of my wife’s wonderful cooking and to talk more about travel and life, do drop me a mail at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a dinner date! Everyone welcome!
- 2019 Thailand Fly & Drive (Bangkok, Khao Kho, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son Loop, Chiang Khan, Khon Kaen, Khao Yai, Pattaya)
- 2019 Cameron Highlands Brothers Drive
- 2018 Bali Drive
- 2017 Hungary Winter Drive
- 2017 Hokkaido Winter Drive
- 2019 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2018 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Bangkok, Rayong)
- 2017 Drive from Singapore to Thailand (Krabi, Phuket)
- 2016 Drive from Singapore to Thailand
Road Trips–Asia Facebook Group
I Need Your Help to Keep My Blog Running!
As you can tell, this blog is fueled by a passion for life and a desire to share my experiences with like-minded sojourners like yourselves. If you have enjoyed reading my content, do support me by making a donation. This will help me to cover the yearly hosting fee for my blog. Simply key in your preferred amount below and pay using your credit card or Paypal. Any contribution, big or small, is much appreciated! 🙂